Mental Health And wellbeing
At Walliscote, we are committed to supporting the health and wellbeing of our pupils and staff to ensure that the school is a community where everyone feels able to thrive. Positive mental wellbeing is essential if children and young people are to flourish and lead fulfilling lives.
At our school, we know that everyone experiences life challenges that can make us vulnerable and at times anyone may need additional emotional support. We take the view that positive mental health is everybody’s business and that we all have a role to play. We have invested in Thrive since November 2017 which promotes children’s and young people’s positive mental health by helping adults know how to be and what to do in response to their differing and sometimes distressed behaviour.
Two key elements to support good mental health are:
- Feeling Good – experiencing positive emotions like happiness, contentment and enjoyment. Including feelings like curiosity, engagement and safety.
- Functioning Well – how a person is able to function in the world, this includes positive relationships and social connections, as well as feeling in control of your life and having a sense of purpose.
Levels of support
- Universal Support– To meet the needs of all our pupils through our overall ethos, school values and our wider curriculum. For instance, Jigsaw PHSE, class screening for Thrive - class action plan.
- Additional support– For those who may have short term needs and those who may have been made vulnerable by life experiences such as separation or bereavement. for instance, 1:1 or group work Thrive sessions
- Targeted support– For pupils who need more differentiated support and resources or specific targeted interventions such referral to wider professionals. For instance, 1:1 Thrive, CAMHs
Please click to see further information on ThriveOur caring and knowledgeable pastoral team are always happy to help and support:
Useful APPs as recommended by the Educational Appstore:
1. MindShift (Android, iPad, iPhone Free age 7+)
2. Headspace: Guided Meditation (Android, iPhone, iPad)
3. Smiling Mind (Android, iPhone, iPad)
4. Breathe, Think, Do with Sesame (Android, iPhone, iPad)
5. Mindful Powers™ (Android, iPhone, iPad)
6. Children's Bedtime Meditations (Android, iPhone, iPad)
7. For Me (iPhone, iPad)
8. The Zones of Regulation (Android, iPhone, iPad)